Carthage Technical Center - North Campus  Logo
Program Areas Clubs/Organizations Course Offerings Statistics
Community Education Adult Education & Literacy Practical Nursing
Financial Aid Who Qualifies? Types of Financial Aid Agency Funding How to Apply for Financial Aid Consumer Information Gainful Employment Cost of Attendance Student Financial Assistance
History Accreditation Mission Statement Philosophy Student Responsibility Certification School Schedule Articulated Credit Counseling Services Follow Up Vocational Resouirce Educator

Facilities and Services for Students with Disabilities

Facilities and Services for Students with Disabilities


The facilities at Carthage Technical Center are completely barrier-free and accessible to individuals with physical disabilities. In most areas work stations can accommodate individuals with special needs.
Carthage Technical Center is committed to meeting the needs of all adult/post-secondary students who meet the criteria for special assistance or accommodations. Accommodations are those measures which are reasonable and appropriate and will aid in providing an equal educational opportunity for the post-secondary student. It is the post-secondary students’ responsibility to initiate the request for services. These guidelines are designed to supply directions to post-secondary students concerning the information necessary to accomplish this goal. It is Carthage Technical Center’s policy to comply fully with federal and state law regarding post-secondary students with disabilities. The law requires the post-secondary student to provide appropriate documentation of the disability if the post-secondary student wants to implement accommodations. The documentation should be mailed to Carthage Technical Center—South Campus, Attention: Mark Sponaugle, 1100 E. Airport Drive, Carthage, MO 64836. These documents can also be hand-delivered to the office of Mark Sponaugle in a sealed company envelope with the professional’s signature on the seal.



Notification and Assessment Requirements:
Students requesting accommodations for special needs must notify the school of their needs. In order for the school to make appropriate accommodations, students must provide current (less than one year old) assessments identifying their needs. The assessment is to be accompanied with recommendations for accommodations that are made by the agency performing the assessment. Such assessments are at the expense of the student.


American with Disabilities Act of 1990

If you have special needs as addressed by ADA, please discuss this with Mark Sponaugle, Program Vocational Resource Educator, at the Carthage Technical Center. You may reach Mr. Sponaugle at (417)359-7026. Reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate your special needs.


Permanent Disability Guidelines
Notification of Disability: Post-secondary students must submit notifications of disability at least six (6) weeks prior to the beginning of classes (or dates the accommodations will be requested) in the academic year the post-secondary student wishes to attend. This will allow time to make all necessary arrangements prior to the initial class meeting. Documentation should be mailed to Mark Sponaugle, Vocational Resource Educator, 609 S. River Street, Carthage, MO 64836 or faxed to (417)359-7419. This request will be kept in the post-secondary student’s file.
Learning Disabilities (LD): Post-secondary students must provide supporting diagnostic test results from a licensed psychologist or certified specialist in learning disabilities. This evaluation must detail the specific learning disability or disabilities. All needed accommodations should be detailed. It should include all tests performed and all scores obtained. This evaluation will help in determining what accommodations are appropriate and other ways we can support you. This information should be as current as possible, but not more than three years old. Carthage Technical Center will evaluate, but may reject, documentation over three years old.
At a minimum the evaluation should indicate the evaluator’s name, title, address and credentials. It should be typed, dated, legible, and signed by the professional. It should include information about the professional’s license or certification, as well as the area of specialization, employment, and state or province in which the individual practices should be clearly stated in the documentation. All reports should be on letterhead, typed, dated, signed, and otherwise legible.
Post-secondary students who have received LD services in high school will find helpful information regarding their rights, responsibilities, and transition from high school to university from the Missouri Association for Higher Education and Disabilities (MO-AHEAD). The following website: will direct the post-secondary student to this resource. Once on this webpage, click the link for "The Guidebook." There you can find a link to the Table of Contents to help you find more information. IEP documents are not acceptable documentation for requests for documentation.


Physical Disabilities: Post-secondary students must provide documentation from a physician that specifies the nature of the disability or disabilities. The documentation should include prescriptive information from a qualified specialist as to the exact nature of all accommodations necessary to meet the needs of the post-secondary student. This information should be as current as possible. Carthage Technical Center reserves the right to request updated verification of disability and necessary accommodations.


Psychiatric Disabilities: Post-secondary students should provide documentation from a licensed professional qualified to diagnose and treat psychological disorders. The documentation should include a diagnosis, the date of diagnosis, the date of doctor's last contact with the postsecondary student, a summary of the present symptoms, and the prognosis. Documentation should describe how the psychiatric condition functionally interferes with or impacts the post-secondary student's ability to participate in an educational setting, and should give suggestions of academic accommodations that may be appropriate in an educational setting.
Auxiliary Aids: Appropriate aids will be selected only after consultation with the post-secondary student who will use them.


Temporary Disability Guidelines
In the case of temporary disabilities, every effort will be made to provide reasonable accommodation for the duration of any disability. To insure prompt and appropriate action, the Vocational Resource Officer, Mark Sponaugle should be notified immediately of the arrangements believed to be necessary to accommodate a given temporary disability.


The steps you should take to request accommodations:
1) Contact Mark Sponaugle, Vocational Resource Officer. Please introduce yourself and advise us what services you will need. Let us know who will be sending your documentation, and when we can expect it. In some cases, it may take up to six weeks for us to provide some types
of accommodations, so please contact us as soon as possible.
2) Have your documentation of your disability sent from your doctor, psychologist, or other medical professional who provides your care for your disability. If you have received accommodations at another school within the last three years, you may have the disability office there send your documentation. If you are served by Vocational Rehabilitation, your caseworker there may be able to send your documentation. Contact information is shown below. This information must be current and must be from appropriate professionals.
In order for us to serve your needs best, please be sure your documentation includes the following:
a. A diagnosis of the disability
b. A summary of how the disability will affect your performance in an academic setting, including effects of medication that may impact your performance, including at the clinical setting.
c. A description of the accommodations needed to help you be successful in college work
Please remember that your disability information is CONFIDENTIAL. We will inform the appropriate faculty or campus personnel of the accommodations you require, but we do not disclose the nature of your disability. In some cases, you may find that sharing this information with your instructors may help them understand you better, but that choice is up to you. Once the Vocational Resource Officer receives the documentation, the post-secondary student will be provided a written response to their request within one week, including determination as to whether the requested accommodations are appropriate, or to request further information, if needed.